U8s Girls vs Pontefract

Owls U8 girls vs Pontefract Wildcats girls U8

Pontefract Wildcats were the visitors to Manley park this morning and the game got underway in fair conditions, some great saves by Amy kept Owls in the game until they were punished for some sloppy defending and found themselves a goal to nil down, undeterred the Owls got straight on the attack and battling play by Esmai led to a goal for Izzy and the scores were level.

Owls were dominating possession until they were caught on the break and the Wildcats took a 2-1 lead, before attempting to play out from the back saw them slip to 3-1 behind.

Again the Owls came back and quickfire goals from Ellie and Izzy saw the sides go in level at three goals a piece after the first 10.

Both sides made a determined start to the second quarter, this time it was the Owls turn to score against the run of play as Izzy made it 4-3.

Owls continued to dominate the quarter, Izzy hitting two more to make it 6-3 and the Owls were looking top drawer as they were completely outclassing a ragged looking Pontefract outfit.

Coach Powell rang the changes for the third quarter, Ellie taking the number one jersey in place of Amy, helpless as the Owls were caught napping at the back and Pontefract made it 6-4, but going on to make some fine saves, but the Wildacats found themselves back in the game as they made it 6-5 at the end of the third quarter.

Looking to put the game to bed in the final quarter Owls went in search of goals, freekick on the edge of the Pontefract box struck the foot of the post.

The girls from down the M62 surged down the other end in search of an equaliser and found one which would lead to a frantic last 5 minutes.

It was edge if the seat stuff at Manley park as Amy, having a stint up front found what was surely the winner, 7-6.

Just when it looked like the game was over confusion reigned in the Owls penalty area and Pontefract found yet another equaliser.

A draw would've been a fair result, but the visitors weren't content to leave with just one point when all three were there for taking, moving into an 8-7 lead with a minute left.

With the referee looking at his watch and the whistle to his lips a pass from Amy put Ellie through one on one with the keeper, her effort squirming wide.

All in all a draw would've been a fair result as a great all round team performance deserved a point but that's not to take anything away from the visitors who battled to the end.

There were plenty of positives to take from the game, solid defending from Molly and Esmai, Poppy's best performance yet, plenty of graft from Amy and Daisy and chances and goals a plenty for Izzy and Ellie. The girls will travel to Queensbury next week confident of bringing three points back to Stanley.

2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Girls had their last home game of the season this morning against Queensbury Celtic. With a full squad in attendance there was plenty of swapping and changing throughout as we tried different position