U12s Reds vs. Farsley Celtic



Firstly a big thank you to our parents for helping me and Kev carry our new goals to the pitch and packing away at the end….they’re heavy. Won’t be long before the wheels arrive! Especially, Ian for his superb refereeing in quite a tasty encounter.

What a super morning of football. End to end stuff from both teams. After the defeat in our first match and forfeit of last week, the lads had something to prove. We have worked on passing, teamwork and playing out from the back over the last few weeks in training and it is slowly staring to pay dividends.

The first strike came from today’s opponents, Farsley Celtic, and the Owls were on the back foot. Captain for the match, Oli G, took an early knock and suffered a bloody nose, after he started really strong and brightly.

The match was extremely close and neither team could capitalise on their chances at either end. Ian did a brilliant job of refereeing today, as tempers started to rise in the warm, muggy, summer-like morning, he kept control of the game. Farsley we’re guilty of a lot of 2 handed pushing and started to wind up some of our players. Winning a free kick midway into the opponents half, Sam took a superb free kick, which took a deflection and rocketed into the top corner, evening up the score, in a highly fraught and close first half. 1-1.

After half time, the Owls got back out into the pitch and started to turn on the class. Our passing, moving and creating space, caused Farsley no end of problems. Zak, Oscar and Ellis were stroking the ball around at the back with confidence, like Barcelona, then driving the ball forwards to Oli and Bailey, who commanded the middle of the pitch all game. Their touch and vision was on point! Harry, Charlie, Daliso and Kian were our attacking midfield that pressed and surged play forwards and made searing runs at their defence. Sam was our striker, holding up the ball, firing the shots off, using his strength, muscling his way into the box and causing no end of problems for Farsley.

Our 2nd half couldn’t have started better! Wonderful teamwork and interplay put Sam through, his shot was parried by the keeper and Daliso was there at the back post to put us 2-1 in the lead.

With more superb playing out from the back, we worked the ball forward, stating with Oscar passing through to Bailey. Bailey then wrong footed the midfield and put a lovely through ball to Kian. Kian sprinted forward and with a lovely square ball, put a superb pass in for Sam to tap it home for 3-1!

Farsley were no push over and kept attacking well. They managed to capitalise on a corner and with a looping ball into the box managed to get one back to 3-2. This knocked the stuffing out of us a little and with heads going down a little, Farsley managed to pull it back to 3-3 with a strong strike from the left side.

This set the game up for a very tense last 5 minutes. Both teams vying to win and grab 3 points. Harry pushed up front and Owls got the bit between their teeth. We missed a glorious chance as the ball went just over the bar as we peppered the Farsley goal. Farsley were struggling to get the ball out as we pressed and won the first ball. Bailey and Oli knew what the needed to do in the middle, and their partnership worked brilliantly and their dominance really showed. Daliso was dribbling and running down the left and crossed the ball into the box. Then with the very last Kick of the game, Kian was there in the middle and scored the decisive goal! Owls win 4-3!!! Really exciting and competitive game. Well done to the whole team. Their “Side Before Self” attitude was tremendous and every player deserved that win today.

A big thank you again to parents for your help and Ian G for his superb refereeing.


BAILEY A class performance from Bailey. Super control and really got stuck in.


OLI G Dominant in midfield. Brilliant first touch and a real Captain’s display.



1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Girls had their last home game of the season this morning against Queensbury Celtic. With a full squad in attendance there was plenty of swapping and changing throughout as we tried different position